Why is Perfectionism a Career Killer?
We want things to be perfect? Some of us cannot stand anything but perfection. Have you ever asked yourself what might be the cost of this approach to your career? I was asking myself the same question. And you have guessed I came across an article that suggests that:
- Perfectionism messes you up and messes up the people around you, because perfectionists lose perspective as they get more and more mired in details.
- We can never achieve perfection, yet so many of us die trying…
- It can lead to obsessive-compulsive disorder. Hmmm. Does this ring a bell?
- People do not like to be around someone who is “Perfect”, “Always right”…
So what to do if you are a perfectionist? How to overcome that predicament:
- Allow yourself to be wrong in front of others.
- Be a hard worker rather than a perfectionist
- Spend your energy making yourself likable.
The above advice was based on an article by Penelope Trunk “Perfectionism Is a Disease. Here’s How to Beat It”